Digby Hall, director of Climatewise Design is a consulting architect and ESD consultant with over 25 years in the sustainable development field. Digby has extensive experience in leading organisations and projects from climate risk through to climate leadership using sustainability strategy and design. An engaging and motivational presenter and facilitator, Digby took the audience through the climate risk-to-reward spectrum in a webinar last night, exploring how an asset might respond to climate risk in achievable and profitable ways that can contribute to the owner’s brand strength.
Digby led the webinar attendees through a journey of what Sustainability means for development purposes.
Some summary notes are as follows:
- Design outcomes are important and ideally developers/designers should be pursuing sustainability outcomes beyond sheer compliance standards.
- Digby described the risks being faced from a climate change perspective and the potential for catastrophic conditions based on the data being provided.
- Measurements of climate risk on a site is now possible to the determine what the potential consequence cost would be. Insurance is driving this as well. Insurance and other businesses are still transitioning to this style of risk modelling. Task forced climate related financial disclosures (TCFD) was discussed and ho that is being picked up internationally.
- Noted that every state in Australia has a Net 0 emission policy in place, which assist to trigger many cost saving initiatives.
- Businesses are being led to look at Climate risk issues to create value for themselves. Designing to first principles is assisting with this.
- Guide to Low Carbon Buildings – Retrofit report could be reviewed to assist in preparing existing assets for climate change issues.
- Climate adaptation is allowing further value to be pulled out of climate retrofitted assets.
- Business continuity is a key risk that insurers are now starting to look for in a new build for a business.
- Setting objectives and targets certainly assists, aligning targets with your Asset Management Strategy, again assists with insurers. Identify the long term value (ROI vs COST).
Missed it? AMCouncil members can view the recorded presentation on our TV page (make sure you are logged in first , and then click this link to be taken directly to the video): https://www.amcouncil.com.au/tv?vid=483846537